Raine House Community Centre
Completed, December 2020
Raine House is a Grade II* listed 1719 charity school found by the philanthropist Henry Raine. The building was severely damaged during the Second World War but was brought back into use in the late 1970's as a community centre.
The proposal made essential repairs to the historic fabric of the building & reintroduced historic plan form of the building, whilst modernising its interior. At ground floor a new timber bar sits in the main hall whilst back of house spaces are consolidated into each wing. A new platform lift provides level access to the first floor, where new dance and rehearsal studios are provided in the main central space, with a smaller studio located in the Western Wing.
The building was carefully unpicked back to the original masonry walls, which were then re-rendered with natural lime plaster. New sash windows were provided throughout and a new pantile roof formed with reclaimed tiles with new leadworks to all gutters and weirs.
Work started in October 2018 and completed in late 2020. The project was shortlisted as a Regional Finalist in both the 2021 AABC Conservation Awards and the 2021 Civic Trust Awards.